You won’t believe how delicious the healthy Vegetarian Quinoa Chili recipe is from Red Gold Tomatoes. It’s loaded with three different beans, quinoa and a ton of flavor from Red Gold Tomatoes. I am sure you know by now, I love quinoa. Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids.
You can enjoy this healthy chili without feeling any guilt. One serving is only 140 calories. Did I mention my kids loved this recipe too? It is delicious! Trust me when I say this is a winner in my house.
For toppings, you can use shredded cheese, jalapenos, and sour cream. Or use greek yogurt for a healthier option. That is what I like to do. But really the toppings are endless.
Recipe adapted from Red Gold Tomatoes.Print
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, or red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Red Gold® Tomato Sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes Green Chilies
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes Chili Ready
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a small saucepan cook quinoa in the 1½ cups vegetable broth according to package directions. There will be extra vegetable broth which we will add to the chili later.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and green pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients minus the remaining vegetable broth and quinoa, stir to combine. Continue cooking until chili reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the remaining vegetable broth and quinoa and stir to combine. Taste and seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- For a thicker chili, use 1 cup of quinoa instead of ½ cup.
I absolutely love working with Red Gold Tomatoes! See my news segment and photos below.