Now that fall is quickly approaching I find myself baking more than ever. Candy Corn Popcorn Balls make the perfect treat for anyone. Kids and adults. This recipe is a tradition that we have been celebrating since before I was even born. Every year on Halloween my grandparents make Homemade Popcorn Balls for all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. It’s a tradition we look forward to every year on October 31st! Now I make them for my kids.
This recipe is so easy to make. Each popcorn ball is covered with caramel and let’s not forget the oh so popular candy corn. But if you are not a fan of candy corn, just leave it out of the recipe.
These are so easy to make and would be a great dessert to serve at your next Fall or Halloween party.
Note: I recently updated this recipe using Caramel Bits (unwrapped caramel) melted in the microwave instead of using the wrapped caramels on the stovetop.
- 1 bag of microwave popcorn popped
- 1 - 11 oz. bag of Kraft Caramel Bits (Unwrapped Caramel)
- 2 Tbsp. of water
- ½ cup of candy corn (or add as much as you desire) or omit candy
- Pop bag of popcorn and try to remove any kernels that did not pop.
- Add popped popcorn to large bowl.
- Add candy corn to popcorn if you want candy and set aside. Or you can leave the candy out.
- Add bag of Caramel Bits in microwaveable bowl and add 2 Tbsp. of water
- Microwave caramel for two minutes. Check and stir caramel. Continue until caramel is melted
- Once caramel is melted stir well and pour over popped popcorn.
- Stir caramel, popcorn and candy corn together until mixed well. Let cool for for about a minute or two before you start to form balls. The caramel is hot. You don't want to burn your hands.
- Lightly dampen hands with water and start forming into popcorn balls. Pack together firmly.
- Once popcorn ball is formed place on wax paper and let harden.